Ranching in New Mexico

Roughing it takes on a whole new meaning here in New Mexico. The first thing I bought before leaving Oklahoma to live and work on 188,000 acres of wilderness at 8,000 feet elevation and high desert was a gps. You soon learn that you don't go out horseback without water, chapstick, pocket knife, and a good sense of direction, thus the gps. Often we take a hand gun, although so far we haven't needed one except with rattlesnakes.

The cattle handle completely differently here also. Actually, they handle easier due to the rugged country & when moving, they go to water, or at least wind mills as water here is scarce.

Riding through Ponderosa Pine trees and Pinons looking for cattle is a great experience, especially if it's raining as the scent of pine is almost overwhelming. But, if it is raining you better head back and not waste any time as lightening here is deadly. According to my gps, every time out we've ridden at least 15 miles and many times up to 30 miles.

I'll be including ranch pictures also so you can experience a little of what I am fortunate to be a part of.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

My first elk encounter













Moving from a ranch in the beautiful flint hills of Oklahoma to the High Desert and Mountains of New Mexico has given me the opportunity to experience elk for the first time in my life. There is a dirt tank (pond) about 200 yards from our house at the camp where my husband and I live. Early one morning I could hear splashing in the tank & grabbed my camera in hopes of some elk pictures. It was pretty chilly as I was still in my pj's & slippers and in the 40's. As I topped the back side of the dam on my belly, it dawned on me that what I was hearing in the water might not be elk or mule deer. A record mountain lion had been killed just behind our house & bear signs were seen a lot. I still had to look. Here are some pictures. The sun was just coming up and I was shaking from the cold & excitement, so they're a little hazy. Hope you enjoy them.



















1 comment:

webmaster said...

Glad to see this blog! You have a life many of us can only dream about. Thanks for sharing.